My Home Gym

I started getting into lifting weights and exercising when I was in high school. I lifted throughout college and joined the local YMCA as soon as I started working full time. I liked going there, but I'm pretty strict in my workout regiment, so I always hated it when a piece of equipment was being used when I needed it. So one of the first things I envisioned when we bought our house was having a home gym in the basement. And it was great to make that a reality.

Gym Equipment


We don't have a big room - it's only about 12 x 19 - so we can't fit too much equipment down there. But I do have the basics. A simple rack/weight bench combo from Dunham's, a 300 lbs Cap Barbell Olympic barbell weight set, pairs of dumbbells from 5 lbs to 50 lbs, an 8 lb medicine ball, an exercise ball, a Smooth Fitness 5.25 treadmill, and a NordicTrack ASR 630 elliptical.

Overall, nothing too fancy, but you can perform most any type of exercise that you want. I'm very pleased, and wouldn't think about going back to joining a gym - it's just too convenient to hop downstairs and do my workout. So far, I've been really good about staying motivated, so I think this is a great investment.

It helps to have some electronic goodies down here too. We've got a 32" Vizio VX32L LCD HDTV wall mounted in one corner. There is a pair of in-ceiling Mirage i-6C speakers handling the audio. Those are powered by a Sony STR-DE197 stereo receiver (which also powers a pair of Dual LU53PW outdoor speakers located on our deck). Finally, a Linksys DMA2200 Media Center Extender provides all the input sources that we need. So while I'm working out, we can listen to MP3's, watch TV, look at pictures, watch recorded TV, or listen to Internet radio stations. I definitely makes working out fun.

No comments: