My Home Theater - Component Reviews

Please note: I am not a videophile or an audiophile, nor am I an expert on any particular home theater topic. These are brief reviews that I hope will help an average consumer (like myself) a good idea of how these components will work in their setup.

Sony STR-DG910 7.1 Receiver



Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector


When I was looking for a projector, I was only looking at 1080p models. After comparing prices though, I went with the 720p/1080i Z5. I'm happy I did - it produces an outstanding image for an outstanding price.
My throw distance is about 16ft, and I'm projecting onto a 108-inch custom-made screen. It takes about 15-20 seconds to start up, and switching between inputs usually takes a few seconds. There are 2 HDMI inputs, 2 component, 1 VGA, 1 S-Video, and 1 composite. I only use one of the HDMI, since my receiver has HDMI switching, so I can't comment on the quality of the other inputs. This is my first projector, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I am extremely pleased with this model.
If you want more information, check out the review from Projector Central.

Playstation 3


I was anxiously waiting for the PS3 to come down in price. I loved my PS2, and even though I already had an XBox 360, I wanted to see what Sony had to offer on the PS3. Once it hit $400, I was sold.
I have the 40GB model - I sold my PS2 and games earlier, so I didn't really care about backwards-compatibility (which this model doesn't have). It also only has 2 USB ports, but as far as I'm concerned those are plenty - I generally only use them to charge the wireless controllers, so two are fine. By the way, there's no need for batteries in the controllers; unlike the 360, these are charged easily with a standard USB cable.
The Blu-Ray player was also a big selling point, and I'm extremely happy with that. The load times are minimal (especially compared to my standalone HD-DVD player), and it works great as a movie player (I do highly recommend the extra Sony Bluetooth remote control though).
The XMB navigation interface is fantastic - I like it even more than Microsoft's Dashboard. Plus, my PSP uses the same interface, so it's nice that Sony kept that consistent. The PS3 can also serve as a media client, playing content off your home computer. I use a free program called TVersity (which I highly recommend), but you can also easily set it up with Windows Media Player.

Sony PSP


The main reason for picking up a PSP was for trips - visiting my family and my wife's family require long car rides, and I wanted to have something to do besides just reading (can't do that when it's dark either). Since I've started recording TV shows, I thought it'd be great if I could take them with me on the go. Enter the PSP.
Much like the PS3, the PSP is a multimedia powerhouse. It plays music, pictures, movies, and games (either PSP UMD games or games downloaded from the Playstation Network). It has wireless network connectivity and can remotely access content on a PS3 from anywhere in the world. And it's got a beautiful wide screen which is great for watching all that content.
The PSP I have is the silver Slim version - I bought the Daxter bundle. I highly recommend getting that bundle; for $30 more than the standalone PSP, you get the Daxter game - which is very fun - and a 1GB Memory Stick Duo.
A few downsides: you do need a Memory Stick Duo for saving game progress and any other content, and those cards aren't the cheapest things. The 1GB card I have is decent, but people wanting to hold a lot of content are going to want something bigger. Also, Sony's software for managing your PSP content, Sony Media Manager for PSP, isn't included with the PSP; that's a $17 download. I did buy it, and it works nicely (especially for transferring my recorded TV shows), but it's something that should be included (I've heard rumors that this might be coming in the future).

Pardigm Cinema 110 Speaker Package



Lutron Maestro IR Dimmer


I purchased this dimmer because I wanted one with IR; the thought of having a remote-controlled dimmer appealed to me. And I'm quite pleased with it. The remote provided is a small, simple five-button remote. Two buttons work to dim the lights completely, two work to dim by a step (I believe there are 10 light steps), and another sets the lights to a self-chosen setting. Lutron provides this in a variety of colors (mine is brown).

You can find the standard white model at Lowe's or Home Depot for around $40. For other colors, you probably have to go online; I purchased mine from Westside Wholesale, and I'd recommend looking there first if you're interested since their prices are very competitive as well.

No comments: